About Early Music Live!
We feel very fortunate to have been selected for the Early Music Live! Scheme and to have benefitted from the
opportunities it has provided for the group…We have received several bookings as a result of the exposure the
scheme has given us…[and will] look back on our performance at the BREMF showcase as a 'turning point', which
really launched the ensemble.
Palisander, Early Music Live! 2015/16
Early Music Live! is a paid apprenticeship and training scheme for young early music ensembles.
We provide mentoring and advice in areas such as business planning; managing your group; creative programming; approaching
and working with promoters; devising education work; and fundraising. The scheme aims to provide young musicians with the
wider skills necessary for life as a well-rounded professional musician in the 21st century.
Some applicant guidelines
Ensembles should be fully formed and have been working together for at least two years -
you cannot form an ensemble specifically for the audition
- The size of ensemble is limited to generally 2 - 6 musicians with an early music specialism (from medieval to classical)
- Ensembles can comprise singers, instrumentalists or a mix of singers and instrumentalists
- We don’t specify an age range but please note that the scheme is intended for young professional musicians at the early stages of a
professional career. Generally we would expect most participants in a group to be either final year or postgraduate students, or to have
graduated within the last 3 years.
- Ensembles need to demonstrate musicality and strong technical ability, a sense of understanding of period performance and good ensemble skills
- Ensembles need to demonstrate their passion for and keenness in developing education work. We also welcome applications from groups exploring experimental work with other musical genres and/or art-forms. We will expect ensembles to come to the audition with some ideas of
repertoire or approaches they would like to explore through their involvement on the scheme.
Applications for the 2017/18 scheme are now invited.
The closing date is 17 March 2017 and auditions will be held in late March 2017.
Please click here for details of how to apply.
We are also auditioning singers for our production of Monteverdi’s Orfeo, and Bach’s Christmas Oratorio.
Click here for more details.
for a list of the ensembles who have taken part in Early Music Live! in previous years.